Welcome to the S4D4C European Science Diplomacy Online Course.
Allow us to provide you with some informative answers!
If you are any of the professionals listed below, or simply you are a student interested in science diplomacy, this is the right online course for you!
- Diplomat/ Embassy staff
- Science and Technology Counsellor/ Attaché/ Science adviser
- Funding manager
- European Union civil servants, representatives of the European External Action Service (EEAS), policy officers, etc.
- National civil servants in ministries and agencies
- H2020 coordinator
- Scientists in research organisations, universities and enterprises
This S4D4C European Science Diplomacy Online Course is available on our website and you can go through it from your home, study room, office, library or anywhere.
Although the course (learning modules 2-7) takes approximately 15 hours, you are the master of your own time! You will create and user and the platform saves automatically the progress of your learning, so next time you log in you can continue wherever you left it in your previous session.
This S4D4C European Science Diplomacy Online Course benefits from a theoretical as well as a practical dimension. It will be of your interest to:
- Get familiar with the international science system.
- Get familiar with the international policy system.
- Understand the complex interface between science, diplomacy, and international policy.
- Get exposed to current European and national practices of science diplomacy.
- Improve your soft and transferable skills.
All Modules are structured in Lessons and Topics. All modules start with an introductory lesson with the learning objectives and experts’ preliminary insights, and finish with a lesson containing Brainstorming Questions and a Quiz. Module 1 describes in detail the structure and navigation of the online course.
This S4D4C European Science Diplomacy Online Course is completely free of charge for you. The launching of the platform has been funded within the EU project S4D4C by the European Commission. Our online course offers you eight modules, in which six modules (2-7) include learning content:
- Module 1: How to Get Started? This module aims to advise you how to use the S4D4C online platform. It does not contain learning material.
- Module 2: What Is Science Diplomacy? This module sets the context of the state of the art in science diplomacy, conceptual approaches, type of professionals involved, etc.
- Module 3: Who Are the Science Diplomacy Stakeholders? It briefly describes different stakeholders and networks in science diplomacy.
- Module 4: How Does the European Union Practice Science Diplomacy? To focus on the current state of science diplomacy within the European Union (EU), understanding the political structure of the EU, the EU science and innovation system and lastly the science diplomacy ecosystem.
- Module 5: What National, Regional, and Thematic Approaches of Science Diplomacy Exist? This module gives you an overview of different science diplomacy strategies across countries, regions, or topics of interest around the world.
- Module 6: What Set of Skills Do I Need to Be a Good Science Diplomat? This module helps you reflect on your skills and which ones you need to promote, improve, or train to be a science diplomat.
- Module 7: Hands on! Case Studies. This module gives you practical insights into science diplomacy cases and summarises the main findings of the empirical analysis undertaken by S4D4C.
- Module 8: How Can You Dive Deeper into the Topic? This module contains a list with additional references to deepen your knowledge in the field of science diplomacy. This content is voluntary.
Good start and have fun!
The S4D4C team
You can register for the course here :
Or log-in here:
The material provided under this course is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.